Welcome to the Island. This is not your typical vacation getaway, rather an escape of our very own. If you are brave enough to stay awhile, grab a beach chair and enjoy. The natives are mostly all smiles with the occasional uprising. The food is plentiful but not very exotic. You may need to duck if and when one of our young natives starts throwing spears or other sharp objects. The Island Chief and Medicine Woman work those issues out when they arise. Welcome...oh and watch out for the many island pets. um... there are a bunch...



Sunday, January 9, 2011

In the Emergency Room....again.

So, I have three sons whom are pretty stinking active but one them is a stand out in the injury department.  Our middle child, G-Money, has been a climber since before he could even walk and I have seen the inside of the emergency room with him more times then I would like.  He has been to the emergency room getting stitches or getting a broken bone X-rayed 5 times so far during his seven years.  When you combine my other 2 boys ER visits, Gannon still beats them both. 

Um... I am not bragging, because at this point I have started  taking him to "different" Emergency Rooms each time just so they don't start keeping a file on us!  And Oh Dang you should here the stuff that comes out of this boys mouth each time the ER Doctor asks the dreaded question "Soooo, what happened to you young man?"  The pictures he paints as he sits there all bloody just makes me cringe while I attempt to interject with "What he means Doc, is..."

SO, I could just show you what happened this Friday night, but I will make you wait.  Instead, I will humor you with a brief pictorial review of Gannon's injuries through the years.


Here we are in December 2004.  Gannon just turned 1 and has his first black eye.  He decided to fight with the coffee table and he lost.  We should have known then. 


So our first official trip to the ER with Gannon was for this little doozie.  He was 3 1/2 years old and was climbing a book shelve in the play room.  Like any "good" parents, we made sure we anchored all the furniture to the walls to avoid injuries.  Well, if they climb to the top of said 6 foot tall "anchored" book shelf and jump onto the train table below, and land on their face...this happens! 

The highlights: Blood everywhere...husband driving too fast to the ER...stressed out mommy...Gannon advising doctor that a "train" hit him...Mommy fumbling for words...something like 7 stitches later, we have a typical Gannon memory.

So here Gannon is 5.  I failed to take a good picture of his stitches but I did take some pictures at his football game with his eye patched up. (So why is he playing sports with stitches you ask...talk to his Father) Anyway, picture this:  Small group night at our house.  All our awesome small group gathered in the kitchen talking and then the scream.  Down comes ALL 5 small group boys attempting to keep Gannon from dripping blood on the carpet and Kason saying "I'm sorry Mommy"...hhhhhmmmm 

The highlights: leaving OUR house still filled with our small group, my awesome friend Lori staying with my other 2 boys (I love her),  driving Gannon by myself to the ER (where is my husband you ask...Out Of Town.  This will become a common theme) Gannon telling the ER doctor that his brother slammed his head in a doorway "with a door" and his brother is REALLY MEAN!, me again fumbling for words...I had none... just a half smile as I mentally rehearsed my future statement in the affidavit to CPS,  4 stitches later another typical Gannon memory.
Here Gannon is still 5.  Actually this "injury" happened just 20 days after the previous one.  We are at a football game and Gannon catches the ball wrong and his index finger is sticking out in a way it should not!  The coach thinks its just out of socket and proceeds to "put it back" (Luv ya Arthur).  Gannon then seems fine and wants to play.  Um... ok.  SO now the football team is at Chick-fil-A after the game and Gannon's finger is turning colors and swelling.  So NOW its time to go to the ER. (I'm a horrible mother!)

Highlights: Me driving all my boys to the ER (where is my husband you ask...again.  Answer: at work....typical. The boy cant hurt himself when Dads home...oh no.) I purposely drive to a different ER than I did 20 days earlier!  Gannon getting X-rays while Baron is busy sweet talking the ER nurses out of lolly pops.  The doctor advising G has a broken knuckle bone and walking out with G in a finger splint.  Calling the Coach the next morning to advise one of his players is benched for 4-6 weeks. Oh but don't worry yourselves about this!  As you can see above, Gannon was playing football by the next weekend.  (Talk to his Father, that's all I have to say) lol Another Gannon memory.
And here we are in 2010.  Gannon playing football with stitches (big surprise).  Actually this particular wound was not stitched but rather "taped" shut.  So what happened this time? Well those of you who got my Christmas card know the answer, but lets just say he had a little "run-in" with a 100lb blood hound and lost.  So should a young boy with a wound like this be playing football?? (yeah you know the answer...talk to his father). Another typical Gannon memory.

So here is Gannon's most recent stitches from Friday night.  So you might be wondering what happened... OK...picture this:  we get the carpets cleaned that day, Lonnie removed the ladders from the bunk beds for said carpet cleaning.  Fast forward to about 7 that evening.  We are about to eat and the boys are gonna camp out in the living room (because the bedroom furniture has not been put back yet and carpets are drying)
Gannon decides he needs to go climb up to the top bunk via the "end" of the beds (remember, no ladder).  Fans are on full blast (you get where this is going)...next thing we know, Gannon screams "MOMMY" (they always do that...) and is standing upstairs with bloody hands.  By the time I get him downstairs, his face is covered in blood (even in his eye).  So off to the ER we go...again...


Highlights: Hubby driving too fast to the ER, my face as I grimace during the doctor questions, me trying to explain why there is a fan next to the bunk beds with no ladder and its on...high! Kason explaining to the Doctor how many times Gannon has been to the emergency room! (remind me to leave him in the waiting room next time) Gannon walking out with more stitches to add to his collection and now I have to clean blood out of my freshly cleaned carpets! But another typical Gannon memory.


Feel free to say a prayer to keep this little fella safe because below is how I found him tonight (with a  head full of fresh stitches, mind you).  This boy is why we have insurance.
Later,
Victoria

3 comments:

  1. That ER looks familiar! I'll be there working at the end of January, so come see me if Gannon decides to crack his head open again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy I thought of you while we were in there! And as much as I love ya I hope I DONT see you the next time you're working in that particular ER. LOL But I have to say we got great service there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's G-Money!! Appropriate nickname too because he's gonna need a lot of money to pay for all his injuries! LOL!! Praying for him to heal quickly before another typical Gannon memory happens. My kids had a ball hanging with your boys last night. Thank you friend!!

    ReplyDelete